Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, Minnesota
This position is responsible for providing proactive legal counsel to Great Clips, Inc. on a variety of legal issues under U.S. and Canadian law, including legal obligations involving franchise regulatory matters, commercial real estate transactions, employment matters and a wide range of other commercial transactions involving the Company. Duties include: generalist counsel for risk management; assistance with the research, preparation and filing of the Company’s annual franchise disclosure document (U.S. and Canada); direction of Company’s franchise Compliance Program and related efforts; commercial lease review and negotiation; providing counsel on employment-related matters; and other duties as assigned by the General Counsel.
On your journey, you will face challenges like:
- Provides timely and practical legal counsel to the organization on a wide variety of issues through close collaboration with its different business units, including Operations, Development, Real Estate, Recruiting Services and others.
- Influences positive business results through identifying and working to implement sound risk mitigation strategies in key areas.
- Leads the Franchise Administration and Compliance Teams, with direct supervision of the Franchise Administration Supervisor and Compliance Paralegal.
- Directs the processing of franchise applications, renewals, assignments, defaults and terminations in accordance with federal, state and Canadian provincial laws.
- Identifies and implements enhancements to Franchise Administration procedures for the purpose of adding greater efficiencies and enhancing collaboration with internal business units.
- Directs the implementation and technology updates of Great Clips, Inc.’s franchisee Compliance Program, as well as the accuracy of all compliance-related information to ensure that internal data and reports are current, complete, consistent, accurate and appropriate for their intended uses company-wide (e.g., operations, decision-making and planning).
- Advises executives within the company and works alongside contracting parties to minimize legal risks for a wide variety of agreements including commercial real estate leases, Company guaranteed leases, NDAs, and other business contracts.
- Participates in committees and teams as requested by applicable business units to provide legal counsel for specific corporate initiatives.
- Develops solutions to complex legal questions by researching unique legal issues impacting the organization.
To land this job you will need to show your proven ability to:
- Knowledge of United States federal, state, and Canadian provincial laws pertaining to franchising, franchise sales advertising, real estate leasing, employment and the ability to accurately apply pertinent regulations to company policies, agreements, websites and other documents.
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend complex legal materials, analyze information and recommend viable solutions to lawyers and non-lawyers alike.
- Knowledge of and skill in using application software in a PC environment including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Ability to carefully proof all work, and use proper grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation and sentence structure.
- Ability to plan for and direct the work of staff, develop staff to their full potential, and create an environment which encourages creativity and commitment to results.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written and verbal communications.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply policies, systems, practices and precedents used within the organization to manage employees relative to recruitment, retention, motivation, rewards, discipline, development and separation.
- Juris Doctor Degree and registration with the bar in the state of Minnesota (preferred), and a minimum of 8 years of experience in a law firm or in-house environment (or both) with increasing responsibility.
Your Work Environment
Our corporate headquarters are in Bloomington, MN. Our approach to work environment focuses on the balance between teamwork and flexibility which means you will have the ability to work in a hybrid model - a balance of in the corporate office each week and days you can work remote. Our office has a lot of natural light, hydraulic desks for standing or sitting and many other amenities, so we are sure you will enjoy your office time as much as working remotely.
- Ability to drive for results, focus on the customer and build realistic plans.
Using a Thoughtful Approach
- Having the ability to think strategically, demonstrate agility, think creatively, apply financial acumen and promote teamwork.
Working with People
- Excited to build partnerships, model ethical performance, communicate with impact and influence others.
What We Offer
We offer a competitive salary, health benefits, wellness programs, a company-matching 401K and tuition assistance but some perks that set us apart are:
A focus on your development. We want to know what your dreams and aspirations are and hope to find ways of Great Clips helping you along in your journey. Your personalized development plan will create a path for your growth and promotion potential.
A GREAT culture. One the most frequent compliments you will hear about Great Clips from employees, franchisees and business partners alike is that Great Clips has a GREAT culture. Our belief is that we are strongest together and therefore find it important to have an inclusive, diverse work culture. Though we embrace our differences, we all share in our 6 core values; we are kind, we listen and earn trust, we keep it simple, we focus on execution, we exceed expectations and WE MAKE IT FUN.
A spirit of ideas and innovation. Here at Great Clips, we have a competitive lead within our industry. Though we hold a strong position, we never stop pushing ourselves forward and continue to look for new ways of delivering a powerful and enduring brand.
About Great Clips
With more than 4,300 franchised salons throughout the United States and Canada, Great Clips is the world’s largest haircutting salon brand. Our salon owners and corporate staff are dedicated to our salon communities with a focus on philanthropic and volunteer activities. Great Clips, Inc. employees are passionate about what we do.
Salon Careers - What to Expect
Submit your interest to a local franchisee
Great Clips franchisee will reach out to you
A Great Clips franchisee will host an interview
The Great Clips franchisee will contact you should you be a fit for their position